Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Losing, But Not Lost

It's been rough for the past month and a half from the running front. My left calf continues to be a nuisance and I can't really figure out what to do with it. Just when I think I'm past it, the discomfort comes back the next week. "Think positive".

Last Saturday, after my boys basketball game (organized chaos), I headed out for an 11-mile run home. Running felt great and things were going well until the last mile - had the old junk in the calf pop up once again. I stopped for a second, wrapped the hell out of my calf, and then continued on my way home. What's really weird is that after icing and rolling and stretching, the leg is basically fine again. This is where I'm confused on this injury.

Yesterday, I decided to do a 1.5 hour treadmill hill workout. Strangely, running up hills right now is the only thing that really doesn't bother my calf (I guess that's a good thing for Miwok). I might just have to keep any outdoor running to 8 or less miles of maintenance. How can I not run in this weather?

Congratulations to all my running buddies who've been hitting the trails and performing in races. I've really enjoyed reading all the blog entries. I've been itching to get out there and can't wait to see everyone again.

I'm not doing any races before Miwok, but I'll probably head out to Diablo on 4/19 to volunteer. Lots of faces and fast runners to see there. Hopefully, I'll be healthy the next time PCTR is back at Diablo in June.

Happy training and racing everyone!

5 comments:

Jo Lynn March 25, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

Booooooooo! Stupid calf. I HATE injuries, especially when they're a mystery. I hope and pray your leg will feel better very soon.

I'm still debating about Diablo Marathon. I want to, then I'm scared to death! Back and forth in my head all the time. If it fills up before I make my decision, I will be volunteering. I've already got the day off of work.

Rick Gaston March 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

Hmm...maybe it's time to get it checked out Mike. Someone out there knows what's going on. See you out there.

GB March 26, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Hey Mike, I agree it's time to get it looked at if you haven't already. But take my advice with a grain of salt, as I am the idiot who keeps pushing through pain. Nowadays I am this close (pressing my index finger and thumb together) to not running AT ALL for at least a week if not two. I will cross train though. I just can't keep feeling like crap after every single run, even the easy ones. Something I'm doing is not working... and I think it's the same old thing of too much too soon for me. I keep forgetting I'm not 29 anymore. I hope you feel better. Take care of that calf before it spreads! I'm serious... that will happen. Pretty soon you'll feel it in your knees and then hips and then your back, etc. Be careful.

209Mike March 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Thanks guys.

Rick and GB - I think we're on the same page here. Normally I would ride it out but I'm past the point of resting and throttling down the running. I need to go get a look at this thing just to make sure it's nothing serious.

Victoria March 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

Oh look-- some of my favorite running people have already given you great advice. I'll be volunteering at Diablo too-- so I'll definitely see you out there! Take care of your calf, though...

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP