Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hi. How's It Going?

If I've been sniffing glue, this would be a great time to stop. The last 10 day period (basically everything after my last post) has been one of my best tapers ever. The only problem is, I'm not tapering right now. After my nice 12 mile run on that Friday, I've done approximately 2 Crosffit workouts, two 6-mile or less ez runs and 1 tempo run that knocked the crap out of me. That means there were 5 days that I did nothing (morning/night push-ups don't count). I'm so tired of not running in the morning (my own fault). The noon/afternoon runs have been beating me up and taking their toll - physically and mentally. I've lost all my confidence on these runs because my legs get filled with lactic acid and get so damn tired too quickly. I run through fluids like theres no tomorrow. No good.

So last night, I'm basically yelling "pull yourself together" to myself ("allow myself to introduce myself"). Before hitting the hay, I set the alarm for 5:00 AM and had my running clothes ready to go. Let's just say I allowed a couple of Snooze operations, but was successfully out of bed, dressed and eating a banana at 5:20. Filled a bottle with water and one with Gatorade and headed out the door. 2 hours, 10 minutes later I was done with my 15-mile run! Finally, I was able to get a decent run in. It's amazing how much better I feel in the morning (and when it's not 90+ degrees outside). Wasn't all good though. Did have some pain in my knee at the end of the run (not totally unexpected. I was mad at myself for not wearing my knee wrap). I'm bouncing all over the place on my runs right now so I had a feeling this might happen. I'm not gonna worry about this now since I'm not running Skyline on August 3rd. Despite the knee pain (and general leg soreness), I'm really happy that I got this run in this morning.

I'll be ready for a lunchtime nap today.

2 comments:

Victoria July 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

Very exciting to hear you're doing Skyline to the Sea-- and yeah, let's hope for the knee pain to stay away from all involved!

GB July 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

You are classic! I laughed when you wrote, "The only problem is, I'm not tapering right now." Dork!

Hey, glad you had a good run! You are way stronger than you think you are and the heat does not do things to help your psyche. Seriously, those 5:00 a.m.-ish runs are the best once you get used to them. That is when I do all my hard quality stuff now.

Keep at it. Just think there are many people just like you running at the butt crack of dawn! You are not alone, my friend. :)

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP