Tuesday, October 21, 2008

And Where the Hell Was I?

Good question and I'm not even sure what the answer is. Seems like I've been running around with my head cutoff this last week. Work's been busy, weekend's have been filled with weddings, kids' parties, etc. The blog has definitely suffered.

Coming up on the 12-hour race this weekend. I am super excited for this run. My training has been anything but stellar over the last 3 weeks. I've had some good runs but have had to hold myself back from going long distances, due to some mysterious tightness in my calf (can't quite figure it out). I've been rolling and stretching it and trying to baby it so it will be ready for Saturday. I'm not too worried though. I'll fuel myself properly and bring some extra pain killers for miles 20, 30 and 40. Heck, I don't even know if I'll survive that far. There's a good chance my left calf will blow up a la Forrest Gump's braces 4 hours into this thing. Whatever happens, I'm going to enjoy this race. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and experiencing a very unique event (for me).

These last couple mornings I've been without a car (my friend, Jeff is borrowing it) and have had to ride my bike to the train station in the early morning (had to go into the Bay Area for a conference). It's a nice 11-mile ride which isn't bad - if it wasn't 5:30 in the morning and I didn't have my computer bag and extra clothes with me. Also, I've only been riding my "leisure" mountain bike for the past 8 months and only for 5 miles max at a time. With my "racing" bike, it's basically an ass torture device. Just not used to that. I'm just glad to get the exercise in and also, this might help save my running legs for Saturday.

Oh yeah, few more things. First off...F the Dodgers and Red Sox. Baseball's been over to me for months (I'm a SF Giants fan) so the only thing I was rooting for were those teams to lose. Done and done. Ok, now I don't care anymore.

And second, Rick and Victoria...I have some Black Butte's and Lagunitas coming for you guys on Saturday.

Last but not least...we'll be at the 49ers game on Sunday having another great tailgate. If anyone is heading out there please let me know so you can come say hello. We park by the RVs. I'll be the one sitting down.

Have a great day/week everyone.

Update: If anyone wants to track runners this Saturday, there will be a live webcast of the results, starting at 10:30 AM. From there you can also send email to the runners which they'll hand out every hour or so. If you can't make it, please send an email to heckle me. That could be very entertaining.

11 comments:

Rick Gaston October 21, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

Oh yea on the beer. I may have to limit myself to 1 or 3. I don't want to fall asleep at the volunteer tent or eat all the grub.

See you Saturday.

Jo Lynn October 21, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

Hey Mike,
It's SO nice to know you're a Giants fan. Me too! You're even more cool now. ;)
I'll be there to cheer you on this Saturday. Don't have my assignment yet but, have no fear.

209Mike October 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

Rick- 1,3,6...whatever u want. See you on saturday.

Jo lynn - glad to hear you'll be out there. Maybe you can dump me in the lagoon after I'm done. Go Giants!

Victoria October 21, 2008 at 10:33 PM  

Yeehaw! Black Butte Porter= yum.

See you Saturday...

p.s. "Use the open eye, Frank."

Rick Gaston October 22, 2008 at 12:05 AM  

So I've been talking with Victoria over Facebook about the beer thing and I have to tell you, I really think she plans on drinking all your beer. I mean she even mentioned about being steadier because she wont have her cast on. I think to be safe you should leave the beer with me. I'll keep an eye on it while you run your laps.

Deck Ape October 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM  

Hey Mike,
just stopping in to say "Hey". How is the weather out there? Is it getting cold yet? The closest I've been to SF is when I was stationed in Long Beach and my friends and I drove up to Big Sir.... It was beautiful...

Your blog has suffered and my running has suffered. I just don't have the energy right now. I know I will get back into it sooner or later. I guess when I can't fit through the door anymore that will be the time..

Take Care, and thanks for stopping by my blog...

Deck

209Mike October 22, 2008 at 7:28 AM  

Victoria - You are good! See you on Saturday.

Rick - I wouldn't expect anything less out of her. I'll leave the backups in the car just in case.

Deck Ape - Really appreciate the visit. Weather is still nice out here right now. Last few years we've had a warm October (what global warming?). I hear you on the running suffering. That's why I'm doing it all in one 12-hour chunk. Good vibes to you this week.

Marcy October 22, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

Oooooooo the 12 hr race is this weekend? Good luck, my friend :-) Hopefully that calf doesn't give you too much trouble ;-)

F. Lee October 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

Mike, good luck, Godspeed and POWER THRU this weekend. Can't wait to hear at it goes!

Jo Lynn October 23, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

To heckle in person is always more rewarding. ;)

Victoria October 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

Well, there's a 50% chance I'll drink up all your beer. And only a 10% chance of that.

Looking forward to tomorrow-- should be a beautiful, sunny day!

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP