Friday, October 10, 2008

Fat Guy, Little Coat


Happy Friday to anyone and everyone. I've been doing some random medium-sized runs over the last week - even got the urge to speed up this past Wednesday. I like to play this game with my dog Miles - he hates to run behind me on the trails. So what I do is try to run out in front of him (basically cut him off) and drive him all the way to the side of the trail until he gets pissed off and then heads for the other side to take the lead. This forces me to pick up the pace big time so I can cut him off again. Repeat until my hamstring blows up or my lungs catch on fire. Btw, this only works after I tire him out for a few miles - he could blow right past me if he wanted to.

Miles in his younger days ->

Besides that, I've been eating plenty of food - some good (salmon, veggies), some bad (Del Taco, candy corn). I've backed down from training as much as I was for a couple of reasons -(1) my left calf (and probably knee) still needed to recover a bit from Skyline. I think the extra love and care has helped and (2) I'm being a little lazy (actually, we'll call it giving the body a breather. yeah.) Anyway, I'm not too worried about the SF 12-hr run. There are no hills and I can run/walk for a long time on flat ground (if necessary). I'll be out tomorrow morning for a 20-25 mile run and then head to a wedding later in the day for more abuse.

Good luck to everyone running races this weekend - especially the Firetrails crew. Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

Rick Gaston October 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM  

That's an aptly named dog, miles for miles. Have a great time in the wedding, there should be some good drinking and eating there.

Jo Lynn October 11, 2008 at 9:33 PM  

My dog would beat me every time. His breed is part greyhound! You missed a good day on the east bay today. I gave a shout out to Rick Gaston as he came toward me, running the 50-miler. I know he didn't know who I was. He was going strong. I'm sure he finished before I finished my marathon. :/
Hope you had fun at the wedding.
Stay well...

Marcy October 12, 2008 at 6:57 PM  

But the wedding is good abuse, right? Open bar?!? LOL

Victoria October 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

Firetrails was so much fun to volunteer at, I'll be joining Rick with the volunteering at the SF one-day. (Un)fortunately (well, depends on who you are-- I'm pretty excited about it), I'll be getting the pink cast off on that Wednesday-- just a walking cast by then...

209Mike October 13, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

Good to hear. Can't wait to be heckled every 1.06 miles.

Jo Lynn October 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

Hey, I volunteered too. I hope I get to work it. Sounds like a lot of people have signed up. We can heckle the heck out of Mike!

209Mike October 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

This is gonna be a blast.

Deck Ape October 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

Mike,
thanks for stopping by my blog. It looks like you put in some major miles.. I thought 26.2 was long. You take it to a whole different level...

Take care,
Deck

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP