Monday, August 4, 2008

About to do Something Really Stupid?

Hello again. Well I think I'm on the verge of doing something incredibly stupid for my current endurance status - two 50k's within 1 month. I've already signed up for the Skyline to the Sea 50k on September 20th. I'm really excited to run this race - seems likes such a great trail run - out to the ocean! Here comes the stupid part...


So lately my wife has been really wanting to take a quick trip with the boys somewhere. Most likely somewhere that has a beach - they just love it and it's easy for us to kick back and/or play with the boys in the sand. So what area of California does she instantly think about they we both love? Pismo beach. We met each other when we were both going to Cal Poly and we love coming back to the surrounding area for R & R. So kind of jokingly, I mentioned that the Montana de Oro 50k is on Aug 31, so we should go that weekend. (In case you don't know, Montana de Oro is an amazing state park in California. It's about 15-20 minutes north of San Luis Obispo - check it out on Google for details, maps, etc. The scenery there is amazing - cliffs, beaches, hills. Can you imagine how fun it would be to run a little bit of these trails?) Sure enough, she says OK, takes off and comes back 30 minutes later with reservations. Oh Sh*t.


Here's the thing. Way back in May, after I completed the Ohlone 50k, I was thinking about running this race. Again, I just couldn't imagine how cool it would be to run around the park area. So now that I'm here, not in the best long-distance shape, I'm a bit concerned. It all comes down to one thing - if my knee holds up, this won't be a problem (relatively speaking of course - it's still 31 miles!) There is a possible compromise here that I'm thinking might be better suited for me right now and that is the 25k race (8k & 12k races also available for that event. The 50k is basically doing the 25k loops twice). I'll make a decision in the next couple of weeks. Either way, I'm going to enjoy the run and have fun doing two trails that I don't want to miss. I may have to tie a log to my knee to finish, but it's gonna be a great experience. More on this to come...

7 comments:

Baldwyn August 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM  

Hey, thanks for your comment! Skyline to the Sea looks like a great run. I'm waiting for my son to be born before I make the final call, but I am itching to do another ultra.

Best of luck on your two ultra month! I say you use Montana de Oro as a "training run" and Skyline to the Sea as a race. :) The nice thing about ultras and the variety of courses, is it kind of frees us of making time target/expectations. Hope to meet you on the trails soon, maybe Skyline to the Sea!

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) August 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) August 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM  

My wife does that to me too (green light, yellow light). Shorter race might be a better choice?! Maybe. I think you'll be okay if you don't hammer Montana ("montanya" I guess) and save yourself. Kind of like Baldwyn wrote. Go for it. Should make for a great end of summer beach trip.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com August 6, 2008 at 7:56 AM  

Ya have fun and like the others said ... take it down a notch on the first 50k so u recover faster for the next 50k... It's all good!!!

Victoria August 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

Montaña de Oro is a really pretty area-- but don't blow your knee out before SttS!

Rick Gaston August 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM  

Hey Mike be careful with that knee. Damn don't I know it, I've taking my own advice lately. Well the great thing about PCTR is the flexibility in their distances. That said I hope you pull them both off.

Every time someone says Cal Poly I think of the naked Cal Poly volunteers at the Wildflower Triathlons.

209Mike August 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

When I was at Cal Poly I "volunteered" a couple times at Wildflower - I'm fairly certain I was fully clothed. Doing the 25k at Montana de Oro will be good. I don't care how I finish Skyline to the Sea, I just want to be on the trail.

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP