Monday, January 12, 2009

Baby Come Back

The hibernation is over and it's time to get the juices rolling again in the new year. First off, Happy New Year to everyone. As is the norm for me, once the vacation starts, I have a hard time getting near my computer for any sort of regular updating and reviewing of blogs. Oh well. That time is over and it's time to move forward in a brand new year - 2009.

I'll hold off on the extended recap of the break. Basically, it was a lot of time with my family and friends and limited time in the gym and on the road/trail. Let's call it extremely limited maintenance mode. In the end, that equalled 7 pounds on the scale.

So what's up for this year? Yes, it's going to be challenging again in all aspects of life - family, financial, athletic, spiritiual, etc. However, each success brings greater pleasure when overcoming such hardships. Last week, I got the lead out and started up the training again ("YES!"). Nothing huge, but accomplished what I wanted to:

Mon: 4 hilly miles on the treadmill + 5 minutes of Double Unders (~200)
Tue: 6 miles out on the levee @ 50 minutes
Wed: Into the pool - Swam 1 mile
Thurs: Deadlifts + 7.3 hilly miles on the treadmill @ 60 minutes
Fri: Off
Sat: 8 miles @ 1:10

So I got the cobwebs out last week and now will start increasing the miles and time on my feet. Body feels good (heavy, but good) and my motivation is flying off the charts. Go away holiday fat!

Got my first bit of good news on Saturday - I made it into the lottery for the Miwok 100k (May 2). That's right folks - moving up to the 62 mile mark. I'm so excited for this race due to many factors - amazing talent, historic race/course, incredible challenge, my first 100k distance. All things that are easy to utilize for motivation and inspiration. I'm looking forward to a great challenge.

My only other big running goal for the year (other than staying healthy) is to complete a 100-miler. Which one and when will be decided later in the year. I'll have to see what kind of shape I'm in after Miwok. For filler races, I'd like to do a 50k in later Feb or early March and maybe even one in April to get race-ready for the 100k in May. Enough for now. Good to be back!

4 comments:

Donald January 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

Saw your name on the Miwok list - congrats! I'm left out this year. Good luck with your training.

Jo Lynn January 12, 2009 at 11:11 PM  

Wow, he lives! Nice to see you're gonna get back to training and blogging. I'm considering volunteering at Miwok. Too much talent to pass up. ;)

Victoria January 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

I'll keep that weekend open for pacing/volunteering. Sounds like everyone except for Jo Lynn and I are running, so can't miss that party!

GB January 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

I get all teary eyed when I think of your first ultra less than a year ago... and now look at you, signing up for 100Ks! You're an animal!

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP