Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rolling Along

Almost weekend time and for most people this means a 3 or 4 day weekend. For my company? Negative. Haven't really figured out why MLK day isn't a mandatory holiday. Seems to me that it sends out a rather interesting (in a bad way) message.

As for running, good week so far as I've been adding on to where I started last week:

- Monday: 7 miles @ 52 min
- Tuesday: 6 hilly miles on the treadmill at the gym (yes, this year a lot more emphasis is being placed on hills)
- Wednesday: 30 minutes on the stair climber (the rotating version). Wanted to swim but the aqua-ladies were in the pool at the gym (not a big pool) doing their water aerobics stuff.
- Thursday (today): Heading out for a 10-12 miler shortly.

The weather is freakin' amazing right now. Cold (by California standards) in the morning and warm during the day (65 degrees yesterday!).

Other goodies:

  • Scott Dunlap (A Trail Runner's Blog) has a nice interview with with John Trent from the Western States Board of Trustees. Scott and John discuss the purpose and duties of the Board of Trustees.
  • I'll be heading out to Pacifica on Saturday morning to volunteer at the PCTR Pacifica 9k/21k/30k/50k. I've been wanting to volunteer for awhile but haven't had a chance due to holidays, kids, wife, etc. I love the people at the PCT events - and I could use some discounted entries for future races as well.
  • I have started training for the 100k already, but my official crazy training will start on the 25th of this month. I'm breaking up the training into 3 4-week cycles - each time, cutting back on the 4th week (plus a 2-week taper before the race). Unlike last year, I feel that I have a good base to work with now so I just need to be careful to avoid any nagging injuries (e.g. IT-band & calf). So far so good...knock on wood.
  • Oh yeah...saw Rick Gaston in the latest Trail Runner magazine (Race Issue 2009, Issue 56, pg 49). They had a nice article on the Firetrails 50 race and showed him and a couple other runners charging up the MacDonald Grade.
Good luck running this weekend. Stay healthy everyone and keep the faith.

4 comments:

Rick Gaston January 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Nice start to your training. Yes on the hills, Miwok has plenty. Psyched that you made it in. It should be a good day. I've volunteered for Pacifica, that's a fun race to volunteer, have a great time out there.

I think it's crazy that you and some of my friends knew that was me. I mean the picture is blurry. Good article on the race though, good to see them get some good press on the event - one of my favorites.

Marcy January 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

OMG I forgot about the MLK holiday (oops my bad) My husband doesn't get it off either, so don't feel too bad. The kids don't have school though . . .I don't think . . .dang now I have to check HAHA

Jo Lynn January 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Yippeee! I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. ;)

Victoria January 18, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

Thanks so much for volunteering yesterday! It was great to see you and definitely appreciated. Your training for Miwok is going to keep me focused on AR50.

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP