Wednesday, May 21, 2008

3 Days Later...

It seems that with every new day that goes by, the high from the race (2008 Ohlone 50k) gets better and better. Some more observations...

- Blisters are just about completely healed up already and my two big toes (and nails) are now down to a dull pain. I can actually wear closed-toe shoes now without wincing. Feet are back to normal size.

- Leg muscles are doing great. I've been stretching them daily and the stairs are my friend again. No pain in the knees.

- I know it's too early, but I really have the urge to get out and start training again. That's the feeling I was hoping for after this. I'm already finding myself looking at the ultra schedule a couple months out. Skyline 50k, perhaps? Easy tiger. Need to remind myself that I took a big jump in distance this past weekend so I have to be careful about training after this. I think I'll start hitting the pool soon - for swimming. I really can't stand running in the pool - bores the heck out of me.

- As I was running down the long single track after the Schleiper Rock aid station on Sunday, I couldn't help but notice all of the poison oak that I was running by (into). Well, today it showed up on my left leg and right arm. Hopefully, that will be all. I need to add 'Poison oak control' to the list of things to do for next time. I used a product called Zanfel on it that washes away the oil and relieves the itching at the same time. Time to put the sheets in the laundry.

- I can't help but smile when I think of the people I met or had the pleasure to be around on Sunday. A lot of the runners that I read about and inspired me to do this were there (Mark Tanaka, Jean Pommier, Will Gotthardt, Chihping Fu, Kevin Sawchuk, Beth Vitalis, etc.). Two+ hours after he finished, Will G happens to bring over my water bottle I dropped at the finish line and tell me what a great job I did. Very cool. What a great group of people and of course, ridiculous athletes. Even though he wasn't running Ohlone this year, special thanks to Scott Dunlap for providing me with the initial inspiration for doing an ultra. I have enjoyed reading his blog way before jumping into this. Also thanks to Glorybelle Lillie (Silly Lillie, the Skirt on RW). Reading her running tales and watching her turn into a running machine has been very inspiring. It's been great reconnecting with her and her brother. Now she's a part of something in my life that I'll never forget. Thanks, GB. You and your family are awesome.

- I'm sure it's the same at other races, but the volunteers at this race were unbelievable. Just thinking of them inspires me to want to volunteer as well. Time to start giving back to the sport before I start taking too much from it.

- I've had a blast eating this week so far. I forgot that one of the main reasons I train and keep in shape is so I don't have to have much of a diet. Oh yeah...and drinking beer too. Mmm.

- Good to hear that injured runner, Steve Shultis is getting better. He was moved from the ICU to a transitional unit and his wife Susie says they expect a full recovery. Can't wait to see him running again in the near future.

- Of course, thanks to my beautiful wife for her support. Not only did she support me during training and the race, she has turned into super mom/wife this week while I return to normal. You rock!


4 comments:

willgotthardt May 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM  

As per my comment in previous post...you say 'dropped', I'm saying 'tossed'. ;-)

Good stuff, see you out there.

Will G

209Mike May 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

Will. Good stuff. Originally I was thinking of using the word 'chucked'. I didn't want anything to do with those things. Glad to carry on the RoY tradition. Hope to see you out there soon.

Rick Gaston May 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

Mike, thanks for stopping by. You were the last person I saw finish before Will G, Chihping Fu and I took off. I remember because you threw down your bottles as soon as you crossed the finish line. I think your instincts about getting back into training too soon is right especially if this was your first ultra. Let your body bounce back first. In my experience the spirit is always willing but the flesh is weak. Check out Pacific Coast Trail Runs, they've got a bunch of great 50ks.

Thanks for the tip about Zanfel, I'm a fan. I always have a tube of it. If you don't already have it, get some Technu. If you see Poison Oak on your training runs or races wash up with this stuff as soon as you're done. It pulls the oil from your skin. I washed up as soon as I got home, had some minor rashes and continued to use the Technu. Had the rashes gotten worse I would have used the Zanfel but so far they've gone away.

Congratulations on your finish. It was a particularly tough day.

GB May 23, 2008 at 2:01 PM  

Aaawwww, Mike! Thanks! Right back at ya!!! And thanks to your wife for being the same great sport that my hubby is. :)

Hey, I guess I'm the lucky one who didn't get ANY poison oak. Yippeeee!

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP