Friday, May 23, 2008

Cranking up the Engine

I headed over to the gym yesterday for a light workout. No running.

Did two sets of pulls-ups and dips and then jumped in the pool for a 1000-yd workout. Mostly freestyle with a few laps mixing up the strokes. Also did some kick drills for a few laps to work out the junk in my legs. That alone woke up the soreness in my legs. I can definitely feel my body saying "Take your time ramping up the training." It was a nice easy workout but it felt great to get the blood pumping again. As for today, I might just take the dog out for a walk. Poor guy hasn't been able to get out lately due to the heat and my recovery from the race.

"I've got needs, you know?!"

Swimming in the pool brought back some of the triathlon desire again. I think I might keep myself in triathlon maintenance mode for the rest of the year and wait until next year to train for another one. I'm fairly certain I'm going to target the Vineman 70.3 next year as my first half-Ironman race (20th Anniversary of the race). My running and swimming should be in good shape. I just need to get some miles on the bike this summer and maintain until next year.

As for what's next this year? It's looking more and more like I'm going to give the Skyline 50k a try in August. (Have to run this by the rules committee (wife) first). Rick Gaston, from this new ultra world community I've become addicted to, mentioned the races from Pacific Coast Trail Runs as possible choices as well. I definitely see some great races I'd like to try there - especially Montana de Oro (close to my old Cal Poly stomping grounds). So many to choose from and just like with triathlons, I'm only limited by money (entry fees) and time (wife and kids - haven't figured out Mark Tanaka's secret powers yet). Probably saves me from destroying myself anyway.

There were also some smaller Tri's that I was thinking of training for this year, but I'm afraid I might burn out ramping up the training for those. I think I'll stick to the running since I've got my base training established now. Just need to proceed with caution and listen to my body.

Kids are going to grandma's tonight, so mommy and I get to do some drinkin' (I'm sorry, I meant talking and discussing things).

Have a great Friday everyone and enjoy the following 'Family Guy' video clip... it sums up my eating for the week...

3 comments:

GB May 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM  

Hmmm, I'm contemplating the Skyline 50K also. Or the Headlands 50K on Aug. 23. Decisions, decisions.

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) May 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

Hmm, "secret powers." My wife will roll her eyes at that one. Thanks for the Family Guy Cookie Monster clip. I think my son (who underappreciates Sesame Street currently) will get a big kick out of it too.

Are you two contemplating Skyline? Do it! It'll seem like a pleasant walk in the park....

Rick Gaston May 26, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

Mark glad I could be of some help. Even the single folks want to know Tanaka's secrets. How can a guy keep rolling through three tough races and do well with family in tow?

I've been a volunteer for the Vineman half the last two years and they were both stinkin hot. Great race though. How about Wildflower Half? Close to your Cal Poly stomping grounds.

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP